Re: Re: Skid Plates

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 19:33:11 EST

Scott Schang wrote:

> The engine and transmission/transfer case are some sort of composite
> (plastic). They seem very robust, with molded gussets and support ridges.
> The fuel tank skid plate is metal (as I remember) and seems the flimsiest
> of the three.

Only on '00 and later. Previous, all the plates are metal. The plastic
ones are not that strong, I know of several people who've thoroughly
trashed them.

> I would recommend enlarging the oil drain hole in the engine skid plate
> before you install it. It's located too far toward the front of the
> truck, and the oil stream coming out of the pan runs onto the skid plate
> instead of
> through the hole. Mopar has drain holes molded in the plate, so the oil
> is
> dispersed across your garage floor over a 2'X3' area. My wife was
> impressed, she never saw me move so fast to grab a bunch of rags.

Or, get a Fumoto valve. Though from what I hear, the '00 and up plates
present more of a problem here than the older ones.

--
-andy
andylevy@yahoo.com