Re: Skid Plates

From: Scott Schang (schang@netsync.net)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 12:34:15 EST

I put the MOPAR skidplates on myself after I bought my '01 CC. There are
three skidplates, engine, transmission/transfer case, and fuel tank. The
installation is pretty straightforward on all three, the fuel tank being the
most difficult due to tight quarters on some of the bolts. The engine and
transmission/transfer case plates are very easy to install, they supply the
bolts that go into nuts in the frame.

The engine and transmission/transfer case are some sort of composite
(plastic). They seem very robust, with molded gussets and support ridges.
The fuel tank skid plate is metal (as I remember) and seems the flimsiest of
the three.

I would recommend enlarging the oil drain hole in the engine skid plate
before you install it. It's located too far toward the front of the truck,
and the oil stream coming out of the pan runs onto the skid plate instead of
through the hole. Mopar has drain holes molded in the plate, so the oil is
dispersed across your garage floor over a 2'X3' area. My wife was
impressed, she never saw me move so fast to grab a bunch of rags.

Scott