Re: CB Install Help!!!!

From: Car37 (englehart@Sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 15:41:45 EST

There should only be two, maybe 3 wires if it has a memory. A ground or
negative, should be black, power(12v) should have a fuse in line and should be
red or white, you hook to power, either the accessory line from you fuse box or
always powered if you do not want to have to have the key on when using and
maybe one the is always powered to save your channel setting. The ground should
just to to the frame, and some shops also install a fuse on the ground, but you
don't need to. The power and memory line should be plugged into the fuse box
with a spade connector and there should be a place for this, if not you will
have to run a new line from the battery. I would avoid splicing into the wiring
harness for power and make sure you use a fuse at the battery and inside the cab
for the radio. Insure you do not hook the radio up backwards, there is
protection diode that is suppose to blow the fuse to protect the CB from reverse
current but often you end up blowing something in the radio. What kind of radio
is it, if it is a realistic or Cobra, the power wires should be a plug and you
should be able to go to Radioshack or other electronic store and get replacement
wires for the radio and they should be able to help you with what wires to go
where. If the radio has been modified to transmit high power (wattage), it
would be best to run a new wire from the battery. That is what I did for mine,
I soldered a heavy gage wire with 30 amp fuse at the battery into the cab and
then attached the CB, cell phone, and extra accessory plugs with there
individual rated fuses to this wire. I do not have any pics scanned in yet.
Email me and let me know what you have and I will see what we can get done.
What kind of antenna do you have with it, the antenna also makes a big
difference with a CB and is often the item that is not thought of, a cheap
antenna can cause many problems.

--
Shawn Englehart
www.geocities.com/englehrt