Torsion bars hitting frame bracket

From: Curt Coulter (curt@cjnetworking.com)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 17:31:58 EST

I have a 00 quad cab slt+ 4.7 4x4 5spd 3.92 Dakota. I had a rear leaf
spring snap over labor day weekend (coming out of a car wash, small bump,
low speed, less than 200lbs in the bed). After I got that replaced and
the bed repaired, it was still not riding right. I tried to get the
dealer to replace the other rear spring, as the right height was visibly
different. They ordered the spring, and then went over the truck and
found that the front ride height was screwed up, so they adjusted the
torsion bars back into spec and refused to change the other spring.

Ever since they did that the front suspension has been making a racket.
Finally, after they played random replace a part and replaced all the rear
sway arm bushings and links, and the older of the two spring shackles,
they decided to actually listen to me telling them it was the front end.
I actually thought it was a problem with the brake caliper from when they
had replaced the warped rotors. As it turned out it was the driver's side
torsion bar hitting the side of the hole it goes through on a bracket
mounted to the frame. They trimmed 1/4" of the hole and problem solved.

In looking it over, I can see that the other side was also hand trimmed at
some point, clearly quite a long time ago. It looks almost like it was
done at the factory. At least it's all back into spec (according to my
measurements) and riding quietly and correctly now. 5-star dealers my
arse.

Anyhow, thought I'd share my experience and perhaps save someone some time
if they have the same suspension rattle at some point.

/Curt
Chelsea, MI