Re: Handling question / horror story..

From: mrdancer (mrdancer2@home.your.underwear.com)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 08:17:32 EST

Check your local MoPar dealer. They sell the A-518 (big brother to your
A-500) for around $1500 new - I'd think the A-500 would be slightly cheaper.

IIRC, you can get a new 727 auto for around $8-900, but you will miss the
overdrive.

Keep in mind that the A-518 and A-500 trannies are the same as Chrysler's
venerable 727. The main differences are that the newer trannies have the OD
unit, and a smoother-shifting pattern. It shouldn't matter on your 3.9, but
if you're into heavy mods or towing, you'd probably want a shift kit in the
A-500 to bring it back up to the 727's strength/reliability levels. Also,
NEVER tow in OD - gas is cheaper than tranny rebuilds!!

--
Remove .your.underwear to reply