Re: Couple issues w/ my truck today

From: Jim Miller (jim76712@swbell.net)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 00:46:44 EST

Will Coughlin wrote:

> Ok, got a couple concerns about my truck today to report.
> #1) truck had been sitting since saturday night when it was 68* until this
> morning at 5:40 am when it was 40*. When I cranked it up, there was a slight
> tick, sounded like a lifter tap on a pushrod motor for about 8.5 seconds. I
> haven't heard it before this, any other 4.7L's experience this?

My GC 4.7 has never don't that yet and it has ben down to high 20s a couple of
mornings.

> #2) My charge circuit gauge/voltmeter always reads just to the right of 14
> volts, or straight up on the gauge. This morning I had to drive about 160
> miles and I noticed that the gauge seemed to be about 1/8th inch to the
> right of where it usually sits, which made it look like it was showing about
> 15.5 or so volts. I got the truck out this afternoon for the return trip and
> when I cranked it up it moved right back to where it usually sits. Any
> ideas? I know it's probably just a fluke, but was just curious!

My R/T will do this and I am told it is because late model Dodge trucks (and
cars maybe) have a battery temp sensor in the battery tray that causes the
voltage regulating device to raise the voltage slightly in colder weather when
more starting power may be needed and lower it in hot weather to reduce
overcharging and causing water evaporation from the battery. If you remove the
battery you will see a round flat plastic disk about the size of a half dollar
in the tray with wires coming out of the bottom of the device. That is the
battery temp sensor. I think I may have ruined a battery by putting a piece of
wood in the bottom of the tray which prevented the sensor from measuring the
battery temp and causing a continuous overcharge in the summer. When I replace
the second battery i removed the wood and now the charge indicator runs about a
needles width lower.
Jim in Waco.