re: Couple issues w/ my truck today

From: Darren Asuncion (dakotaguy1999@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 02:01:38 EST

Will,

I don't have an answer for concern #1, since I don't have have a 4.7 in my
'99 Dak. The 5.2 in my Dak does make a slight ticking noise when cold
(ie: -30f). I figured it was due to thick oil, and it does not do this when
I've got the oil, battery, block, transmission heaters plugged in. I do
have an answer for concern #2. The charging system tends to put a little
more juice to the battery when the ambient temperature is low. There's a
battery temperature sensor underneath the battery, which reports battery
temp to the PCM. The PCM adjusts the charging system accordingly. I guess
a cold battery is harder to charge, which is why they up the voltage a
little bit. When its -50f here in Fairbanks, the battery gauge on my Dakota
has been known to read about 15.7 volts or so (if the battery pad is not
plugged in). When I plug the battery pad in (a necessity up here!), the
voltage is just to the right of 14v like it usually is. I think the battery
temp sensor is discussed in the FSM...might want to check.

Anyway hope this helps!

Darren Asuncion
University of Alaska, Fairbanks.
dakotaguy1999@yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/dakotaguy1999/dakota.html
'99 Intense Blue CC, Sport +, 4x4, 5.2 V8, 44RE auto, 3.55 lsd (8.25"),
4wheel ABS