Re: Gas line

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 17:34:03 EST

Robert Pruyne <rpruyne@rnetworx.com> wrote:

: Anyone out there ever replaced a fuelline? My 1990 has a small pinhole in
: the fuelline. this is the line that runs from the fuel filter towards the
: engine. Any suggestionis would be great, or even how much it might cost to
: have it done professionally. Thanks
: -Bubba

   What type of line has the hole? (steel, rubber, or stainless braided?)

I recently repaired a ruptured line in my '92 Ram, but how you do it will
depend on what type of line you are faced with repairing. The prices
the dealer wanted on parts alone were outrageous. (~$200)

  I don't know if this will help you out or not, but the situation with
my Ram was a steel hard line had split, just before where it connects
to some braided stainless line and runs to the engine. I ended up
cutting the braided stainless line and putting an AN fitting on it.
Then I used an AN to NPT adapter and ran high pressure (EFI rated)
rubber fuel line all the way back to the fuel filter, bypassing that
section of hard line altogether. It would have been better if I had
replaced it with hard line I suppose, but when I did this repair, I
didn't have the tools or knowledge to do so. Its holding up well so
far. Your truck being a '90 probably has a TBI fuel system, which I
*think* has less pressure than the MPI; you might be around 20-25psi
or so (anyone know for sure?) so using the EFI rated fuel line might
be even safer in your case than in mine. (My '92 Ram is MPI.)

 Good luck!

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'