RE: Lockers

From: Tim Althoff (yllwdkta@insight.rr.com)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 03:15:52 EST

that's funny, I just typed an email to the mml about my locker...start you
off I have a 99 regular cab 4x2 v6 manual. I have the powertrax no slip. I
will warn you that the manual tranny makes it clunk a lot. It is difficult
to maneuver through a parking lot. I tend to be chirping the tires and it
jumps (both wheels lock up). I hear that the auto tranny is much better.
However I love the locker! it really hooks up now. It is a pretty easy
install. If you have any other questions email me privately...

here is the email I sent the mml (subject: my locker locks in turns)
================
I have a 99 Dakota with a locker in it. I put it in about 6 months because
I was worried about the lsd clutches wearing out, and it was much harder to
install...well, if I had to do it again, I would got with a locker for a
cheap install but would do a lsd for drivability. I literally can't
accelerate until I straighten out after a turn. I squeal around most turns,
and it clunks all the time (manual tranny). And to top it off, I am 21 with
solar yellow w/ black racing stripes and it is very loud! I haven't had a
problem. If I would be pulled over I would just have to explain about
it...I may be young and drive a really flashy and fast truck, but I don't
drive like an idiot! it's my baby. If they don't like it then I will just
get the company I bought it off of, involved...There is no reason to pull
someone over because the tires make a little chirp...now if I floor it
around a turn and smoke the tires then you have it coming!

BTW I would definitely buy it again! It has some rough edges but I love
it...give the truck an attitude...like I women :)

Tim Althoff
http://go.to/yllwdkta