Re: Paint muffler?

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 23:44:15 EST

At 10:48 PM 12/18/01 -0500, you wrote:
>OK, I've got this brand-spankin-new FM 50 series sitting here in my living
>room. I would *love* to install it right now, but I'm concerned about
>winter rot as it's not stainless. Why put it on at the beginning of the
>winter and subject it to all that right away?
>
>Is it possible to paint the muffler for extra protection? If I put a
>couple coats of hi-temp Krylon on there, would it protect the muffler from
>the road crud? -andy

High temp krylon is good.

More elaborate scheme can be found at:
   http://www.chirienterprise.com/CoatNgo/CoatNgo.html

Some other ideas at:
   http://www.vespaclubusa.org/tt1.html

Having said that, painting the outside of the muffler will generally
do nothing but make it look pretty. Mufflers rust mainly from the
inside out, not outside in. One of the components in exhaust,
when mixed with water, becomes acid. It is this acid that destroys
mufflers. The only way that I know is to have the muffler dipped
in some galvanizing or aluminizing solution.

HTH, Bob.