MIL Code Solved

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Fri Dec 28 2001 - 18:30:35 EST

Hey, DML!
Got the DAKSY back from the dealer today & they found the reason for the
MIL. They've got a "smoker" set-up that they use to inject the evaporator
system with smoke & then visually check for leakage. New one on me, but I'll
admit that I'm not an up-to-date motorhead. I haven't had many vehicles
that know how to tell me what's wrong. Most of the ones I've owned used some
kinda smoke signal to indicate a malfunction!
Anyway, it WAS the gas cap. (OK - I know EVERYBODY told me that, but nobody
said anything about the freakin seal!) The seal (o-ring?) had dry rotted in
just over two years, & was causing the P 04 55 ( "Evap Leak Monitor Large
Leak Detected") code to be generated.
Call it a (costly-$55 for the test, new cap + tax ) learning experience - if
you will - but maybe Andy can file it in the FAQ page & my MIL resolution
might save another DAKster both a headache & some bux...
L8r,

Bob Smith (Daksy2K on AIM)
DML/DML
2K DAKSY CC Sport +
3.9l; V6: 4X4
(1 of 980 2K DAKSYs mfrd)
For the mods,details, etc., visit us at:

http://home.nycap.rr.com/daksy/

(ps, we're still working on it...
Susan on the page; me on the DAKSY! )