towing with 4.7 auto

From: Mark MacHale (mmachale@garfieldre2.k12.co.us)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 15:08:45 EST

I tow a 4k pound boat with my 2000 quad cab, 4.7 with auto and I am very
impressed with how it does. I am towing at about 5,000 altitude, and can
say it has sufficient power and get about 10-11 mpg at 70 mph. I go up
some huge hills, and it usually keeps up with others vehicles that tow.
There is some talk that the 4.7 is under rated in terms of horsepower and
torque. I just read an article in Trailer Boats Magazine that compared a
Durago with a 5.9, an Explorer with a 4.6 V8 and a GMC Envoy with a 4.2
inline six, and they rated the 5.9 last in terms of power and towing.

Mark m