Re: What are the Dodge designers smoking???

From: A. S. (adakota4x4@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 13:09:04 EST

Miles,
  First let me say that I agree with you about the mess that occurs when
changing the oil on these vehicles. I get pretty messy when changing the
oil on my 95 4x4.
  However, I don't think that the designers placed the oil filter without
thinking. My oil filter is in what I consider an easily accessible place
and is not difficult to get on or off....it just makes a mess. I would much
rather have had a mess with some of the vehicles I've changed oil on rather
than the difficulty of simply getting the oil filter on and off.
  My guess is that the people at Dodge are betting that the majority of
folks don't change their oil anyway and therefore don't really care where
the oil filter is. I'm sure they figure too that those that do change their
oil can deal with a little mess. I mean, how many times do you work on a
vehicle without getting dirty?
  I guess my point is, just be happy it's as easy to get to as it is. It
could be like replacing a starter on some vehicles that require you to
remove part of the exhaust, frame cross members, or jack up the engine.
Talk about a pain. Those are the type of complaints I want to take to
vehicle designers. But then, I'm sure they are betting that you aren't
going to replace those parts yourself anyway and the mechanic will have no
problem with those tasks. :)
  No doubt their are definite design flaws in certain areas on different
vehicles, but I don't think the oil filter location on your Dodge vehicles
is one of them.
--Aaron--
95 DSRC 4x4 V6
www.geocities.com/adakota4x4_95/