remounting tires

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (patrickandkelly@erols.com)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 11:38:45 EST

"> the same pattern on all four GoodYear OEM 235/75x15". Do you think
having
> them remounted with a 180 degree turn would help them last longer and
would
> it be worth the extra expense?"

-Unfortunately, your truck wont know that the tires are turned inside
out, and the only thing that will do is wear the good edge of the tire.
When there is a problem causing alignment wear, it causes quicker wear
on that particular edge, but the rest of the tire will still wear out at
a normal rate. So, if you correct the true cause of the accelerated
wear, it will make no difference whether the worn edge is out or in.
The tire will then wear normally across the whole tread. Front tires
pick up edge wear from turning and cornering. The best thing to do to
the tire to extend its life is to rotate it to the rear.
  Many members of the list have heard me growl (for 5 years)
impatiently at other members who ask about changing tire and wheel sizes
and changing the ride height or dropping the vehicle, and what to do
about the alignment and how the tires will wear. There has been a
thread going recently about increased wheel diameters and problems with
alignment wear, and problems that members are having with wear on their
expensive tires, especially on vehicle. I dont want to tell you I told
you so, but unfortunately, that's the possibilities when you alter the
stock front end geometry by lowering/raising ride height, and changing
the overall tire diameter. Unless you are an engineer and can
recalculate the roll center, camber arc, toe change seen on suspension
compression, and then can set new alignment angles for camber and toe,
you are then a guinnea pig and just taking a shot in the dark.
Sometimes you come out ok, sometimes you dont.
  I have the P255/55r17 on my truck, and took great pains to get the
camber exactly where it's spec at for the R/T, and now have 35,000 miles
on the factory Goodyear RSA (which I hate the traction of, but I am
pleased with the wear on them) and I expect to get about 45K out of
them. I hear of many people having bald tires at less than 30K, and
wonder if its just lack of proper maintenance.
  Just my opinion, but what do I know, I only do this every day for a
living...
Patrick