Re: Throttle Body question

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 14:19:49 EST

Coming from you Jon - I should have known it wasn't gonna be that easy 8). You
are correct as far as I'm concerned. Careful machining and flowbench testing
will reveal what you describe. Even some very minor adjustments to a stock TB
can show improvements. Similiar to the gains obtained when port matching
intakes/heads as well as smoothing out casting flaws and the like.

I was mostly referring to the general case where TB's are just bored oversize
w/out attention to these subtle details. Also the results of dragstrip runs
before and after can be greatly over (and under) exaggerated. This is I'm sure
due to the subtle smoothing effects coming into play more at just off-idle
conditions compared to WOT runs at the dragstrip where the low-rpm torque loss
is much more apparent due to the low-speed air travelling through a larger
orifice. At the dragstrip can exhibit a slower ET whereas the same vehicle can
feel more perky light to light.

Good analysis,

Shane