RE: 32 x 11.50 tires on Gen III

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 20:57:39 EST

Yep, I'm running the Mopar hitch. It really doesn't take up any more room
that is there without the hitch. That's one of the nice things about it.
Price OTOH is not.

You're right, you can run a mis-matched spare in an emergency, but I'd sure
hate to see a drive line failure due to the mis-match before you could get
on solid enough ground to run 2wd. Running different sizes on front vs. rear
in 2wd should be no problem at all.

John

>John, do you have a hitch installed, and if so, what brand? I put on a
Putnam hitch. Its flanges extend further >down the frame than the Mopar,
and I think the receiver box pushes farther under the truck as well - my
stock >31x10.5 spare barely fits inside the confines of it. I have to
jiggle it some to get it into place when cranking it >up. I'm about 90%
sure a 33" won't fit in that area, and I'm not too confident about making a
32" fit.

>In an *emergency* situation, you can run with a mismatched spare. At the
DML BBQ 2000, The Adam Blaster >sliced a nice hole in his sidewall and
limped back to the barn with the factory spare (he had upgraded to 32x11.5
>on the corners). With the open front diff, it wasn't as critical a
problem. As we couldn't find a tire shop open on >Sunday of the July 4th
weekend, he borrowed Jason & Norah's 31" spare and drove 5+ hours home to
Windsor >with 31s in front and 32s in back - in 2WD, of course.