Re: 32 x 11.50 tires on Gen III

From: Jason Yates (onebad4x4dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 18:19:55 EST

I was forced to run my 31x10.5 spare in place of my 32x11.5 in
the right rear. I threw a bead screwing around on this "dry"
lake in Nevada that had about an inch to two inches of water on
it--its the closest to boating I've ever been in my Dak! I was
sliding sideways (like in the car commericials) and hit a high
spot and with my tires aired down, the bead came right off;
probably kept me from rolling actually (boy, that would've
sucked!). It certainly wasn't the smartest thing I've done, but
it was fun. Anyway, getting back to the point, I ran the 31 on
the rear for about 10 miles on the dirt (just fire roads) and
about 40 on the highway to get back home. I don't know what if
any damage I did to the LSD. I've put about 10K on the truck
since then and don't have any weird rear end noise . . . I think
I've also changed the rear diff fluid since then (if that
matters). On the pavement, I aired up the 31 to like 40 psi and
only partially aired up the 32 on the other side to like 30 I
think--I figured that might help make up for the difference in
height. It is only a half inch difference (radius wise),
afterall. When/if I move up to 33's (or bigger!), I'll probably
spring for the extra tire as I think a full inch difference in
radius could certainly be more damaging. It kind of just
depends on how far you expect to be from home (or a tire shop).
Jeez, I write a lot . . .

JY