Re:UPDATE!! 6-speed/5-speed Dak Conversion

From: George S Willhite (gswillhite@ualr.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 23:56:02 EST

Boy, if I had the money to get in on this deal, I'd send
Rich my NV-3500 fully broke in and ready to go. Hear that
Rich? Hey its the thought that counts right? ;)

George

Sam,
Thank you for your inquiry. Here's the letter per our discussion today.
Please forward it to the DML.

Dear Dakota Owners;
Over the past two months, we have received 8-10 inquires about the
possibility of making a 5 or 6-speed conversion kit for the Dakota. We have
investigated this a small bit, and would like to share the following
information with you.
FEASIBILITY
A feasibility study has not been performed, but an initial investigation
shows us that we would be able to deign either a 5 or 6-speed conversion, or
both. Either kit would feature the Tremec transmission - . TKO 5-speed, or
T56 6-speed. We have experience designing and installing both of these units
in kit form (a lot of experience with the TKO). We are tentatively thinking
to use the junk yard Camaro T56 (although the 0.50 6th gear is very tall -
we like the better geared 0.63 overdrive of the new aftermarket T56 unit).
The 5-speed would have the shifter come up in the area of the stock shifter.
The 6-speed would be farther back, but probably reasonable for most unless
major surgery was required.
PRICE
Price-wise, we can offer the kit at the lowest price possible. Tremec
promoted us to the top distributor level, so we can roll the pricing into an
overall affordable package. I think a package for a manual equiped Dakota
would run in the range of $2500-3000, and 3500-4500 for an automatic equiped
unit. Keep in mind these are rough estimates only, and not based on a study.
NEXT STEP
We need your help to learn the following:
1. Who is seriously looking at a transmission upgrade or conversion?
2. What price is affordable for you?
3. Do you want the 5-speed with lower 3.29 1st gear, or the 6-speed with the
taller 2.66 1st gear?
4. Will you purchase the conversion within 3-6 months if it meets your
criteria?
Please e-mail us at info@keislerauto.com

Based on your reply, we will determine if we can invest to move forward on
this kit. I also own a '98 Dakota R/T which I purchased new and drive daily,
and I love the heck out of it.

Thank you for your interest and I hope to get your feedback.

Shafi Keisler, Owner
Keisler Automotive Engineering
2216-B W. Gov. John Sevier Hwy.
Knoxville, TN 37920