Re: 20w50 oil

From: Ray Block (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 00:05:23 EST

I'd have to agree with Kevin. Since it's had 7K miles on it my '92 Dak has
lived quite well on 10w30 Mobil 1 synthetic. It has over 26K miles and
1600 quarter mile passes without ever breaking anything or using any oil.

My 2K Grand Cherokee, 4.7L 4x4 has over 20K miles and about 50 runs down the
track (not sure of exact passes as wife races it and keeps the log book) but
it has always had 5w30 Mobil 1 synthetic. Again, no oil consumption, great
gas mileage (for what it is) and runs 15.60s.

My '86 Laser turbo, 5-sp, had 143K miles when I sold it, never saw anthing
but 10w30 Penzoil. New owner says still going strong at 170K.

So, that's my .02 worth. I've not found factory recommendations to be
detrimental to durability. Not that the 20w50 would hurt anything, just
not sure it's necessary.

Ray