Re: Why Gen II?

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 09:10:39 EST

The majority of the people feel the 87-91 trucks and 92-96 are different
enough to call them different generations. It makes a difference when
someone is looking for some of the front end body or engine parts. If
someone just said, I'm looking for a cam for my Gen 1 3.9, the first reply
he's going to get is whether or not it's a Magnum/Gen 1 etc.

The Ram comparison doesn't work as they in fact referred to as pre-94 or
94+. The 93-92 Ram is a different truck than the 94-2001. The only things
which are the same are the Magnum engines and transmission. Possibly the
rear end too, but I'm pretty certain even there you'd find differences and
different part numbers. The entire body, frame and suspension were changed
in 94, not just the front end. The Ram lineage goes back so far that we're
probably on Gen 24 by now so calling out your Gen 9 Ram will have most
people running for a history book or just saying "Huh?". It's much easier to
call out a year model.

If DC keeps changing body styles at the rate they have been, then give the
Dakota another 30 years and I'm sure we'll see the Gen x designation will be
dropped by most enthusiasts. Few people will know the difference between a
gen 4 and 6. :)

John
http://jndneff.home.texas.net/dakota/dakota.html

>> Why is that people differentiate the 92-96 trucks as a different
generation
> from the 87-91 trucks? The only different is some front end styling cues
and
> engine changes? It seems like 87-96 should be one generation and
97-current
> should be "Gen II". The 92-93 Rams had different front end cues and
Magnum