Re: Black Magic Fan Installation?

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 09:34:47 EST

Where's John Neff to help me out here?

John and I both installed BM 150s on our 318 4x4s and have since removed
them. I live in upstate NY, John in TX. Neither of us was able to keep
things at a reasonable temperature in the summer once we hit traffic.

I got my Dak in March of 1999, and between then and Sept 2000 (when I
installed the fan), I only touched 210 degrees on one day and it came right
down from that as soon as I started moving again. Between Sept 2000 and
Oct. 2001 (my time w/ the BM 150), I hit 210 fairly often in the summer,
and unless I was getting on an interstate, wasn't able to cool back down
with movement.

I bought mine from Kevin in NJ, who had installed it on his 318 2WD and
couldn't keep things cool either. I was hoping with the extra ground
clearance the fan would have more room to push the hot air out around the
wheelwells and underneath.

I don't know that anyone's done a mechanical vs. electric dyno. I know my
Dak definitely felt a little sluggish after I put the factory fan back on,
but I feel better about cooling now.

Oddly enough, the most steady (and lowest) I ever saw my temp gauge was
when I had removed the BM 150 and ran Buffalo to Rochester with NO fan
thanks to Jon's mudpit. I still have the remains of the fan sitting in the
garage...I should probably just throw it in the dumpster.

Be warned that the BM 150 clamps onto the top and bottom of the radiator
and you have to remove the original fan shroud. This opens a big can of
worms for guys with '00s and newer.

I've been looking in JC Whitney and Summit at some of the small fans and
wonder if I could put together an array of 3 or 4 small fans, maybe that
could handle it. But I really don't know.

--
-andy
andylevy@yahoo.com