Cats and water

From: Jason Bleazard (jbleazard@Sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 08:34:58 EST

Anyone ever had a catalytic converter go bad from driving through water?
Mine went out on me earlier this year. The guy at the muffler shop asked
me if I had gone through any large puddles or anything.

All I said was "I might have..." (thinking of, oh...
http://www.dakota-truck.net/MEET/daktoberfest2001/pics/jon/09.jpg :-)

He said that would cause the cat to break up due to thermal shock. Just
seems strange that I don't hear of this happening more often. I'm trying
to figure out if I'm going to take the risk with the emissions
inspections of setting up a straight pipe that I can swap in to replace
the converter when mudding.

Thanks.

Jason Bleazard jbleazard@sympatico.ca Toronto, Ontario
his: '95 Dakota Sport 4x4, 3.9 V6, 5spd, Reg. Cab, white