High tech insulation/Dak applications

From: Brett Forehand (brett4hand@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 23 2002 - 01:49:56 EST

Hey guys,

just got back from the Orlando Home and Garden show. Yes, it's a little
known fact that hot rod products can be found at home and garden shows. ;)

I came across a booth called Radiant Barrier Products,
(radiantbarrierproducts.com), and they sell a product called Energy "Q" that
looks a whole lot like aluminum foil. It's very thin, and they claim it
blocks 97% of radiant heat. I did the whoopy-doo heat lamp test, and yes,
the stuff blocks heat from a heat lamp.

The gears were turning in my head though, and I started thinking about
applications for the Dak. Maybe a type of "block" between the headers and
intake/breather. Supercharger guys might wrap their intake tubes, etc.

I'm curious if anyone out there has tried this stuff. It was pretty cheap.
(39 cents a square foot). I remember Don Mallet saying he'd wrapped his air
conditioner lines with some type of material to help with cooling.

They claim to have race applications, but couldn't find any examples on
their web site. Also was told by the rep that people use the stuff under a
head liner... now I could have used that when I lived in Texas!

Anybody have any experience using the stuff?

Later,
Brett Forehand
'94 Dakota CC Sport