Re: New '97 SLT Questions

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 10:13:00 EST

Check out the Fabtech Prerunner kit for your lift.

Fender flares you can get from any dealer or sometimes on EBay. IMO, the
truck doesn't look complete without them.

I don't think ARB is making air lockers for our Daks yet. I hear good
things about the Powertrax product, however, and if you have an open diff
right now, it's a relatively easy install. For winter traction, I put about
250 pounds of sand in my bed. I cannot wait till winter's over and I get
that gas mileage back.

Yes, these 5.2s have some kick. You're running an engine that used to be
standard in a truck that's 1000 pounds heavier (Ram).

""J J"" <axshon@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Howdy,
>
> Just picked up a '97 SLT extended cab with the 5.2 and am enjoying this
> truck! I picked up the 2WD version because my lifestyle right now doesn't
> require a 4x4. Better mileage and lower maintenance drivetrain etc.
>
> The problem is that I MUCH prefer the raised look and flared fenders of
the
> 4x4 Dakota. Can anyone give me some insight as to how I can go about
lifting
> this truck just a little, whether or not the fender flares are separate
> pieces (and purchasable) and how large a wheel/tire combo will fit under
the
> stock fenders without interference.
>
> Next: Years ago I looked into a the ARB Air Locker for a 60's F100 I had.
> The unit would give a total Posi at the flick of a switch. With the power
> and lack of rear weight, I am thinking this would be a good option on the
> SLT. Are these still around and are there better options aside from a
> limited slip diff?
>
> Finally, I am wondering if all of these 5.2's are this fast or if I just
got
> a good one. From a 20 mph roll, I can plant the throttle and bet rubber.
It