posting again: how to get a code without a scanner

From: mark janke (markcjanke@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 11:39:25 EST

To avoid confusion on some responses here is what I
want to do:

I do not want to reset the PCM. I merely want to
obtain a code from it. I have a 99 Dakota. I have
tried the key cycling trick to get the MIL (which is
the Malfunction Indicator Light or the "check engine
light") to flash or the odometer to flash and it does
not work. I'm guessing that since I have OBD 2 I
can't manually extract the code without a scanner.

Is there a way to run a jumper wire of any kind on the
diagnostics port to get a flash? Is there a key trick
to get codes? Do I have to have a scanner? Anyone
know a cheap place to get one. I'd rather pull the
code(s) myself before having to mess with a dealer.

Thanks

Mark