Re: SXT

From: Richard A Pyburn (rap777@juno.com)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 08:37:25 EST

Letter in reply to the editor...

Yeah, Jon, it's just a marketing gimmick, but I can't blame DC for this.
The way I see it is that they are just filling a demand. Most of the
trucks out there have had this type of package for years while all we got
was gobs of power! As you well know that never bothered me (shoot, I even
bought two of those ugly Gen-II Daks with the small wheels and big
engines) since I care more about power. But, in the meantime, 4duh was
selling crappy splash packages with mp3 players and chabby was selling
xtreems. Most of the rice trucks were all big wheels and tires and maybe
something catchy like TRD stuck on the side.

It appears that Dieter has realized the potential for niche marketing
and, fortunately, he's looking at all aspects of it. That is, appearance
packages and names that sound like sex (SXT) and performance packages for
the rest of us (PVO). While these trucks won't gain any respect from
those of us who want performance, as long as they can help keep cash
rolling in to DC and PVO keeps putting out decent performance vehicles,
I'm happy.

Richard in San Antonio

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 02:16:27 +0000 (UTC) jon@dakota-truck.net writes:

> Just a commentary/editorial...
>

> I kept hearing Dodge commercials advertising SXT this, SXT that,
> (Dakota, Durango, Stratus, yadda yadda yadda...) Finally got
> annoyed enough to check out the Dodge web site to see what the heck
>
> an "SXT" is. (Doesn't that just roll off the tongue?) :-P I
> didn't
> bother to check out all the other vehicles, but on the Dakota it
> appears to be an appearance package - you get some bigger wheels,
> monochrome paint, upgraded radio, and of course the all important
> "SXT" badge. Available ONLY with the 3.9 V6. Basically, a factory
>
> ricer. How sad. :-(
>
> (Hard to believe this is the same company that makes the Viper
> and will produce the SRT-10...)
>
> --
>
> -Jon-
>
> .---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com
> -----.
> | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot -
> SEL |
> | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96
> FireFly |
> http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.