Re: trans slippage and torque converters

From: steve preston (steve239dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 23:04:01 EST

Wow. I`ll bet the torque converter was the problem
with my other Dak (99 V6). It felt like the power was
coming and going rapidly during steady driving. Nobody
could ever find the problem.
Steve P.
     --- Patrick and Kelly Engram
<patrickandkelly@erols.com> wrote:

> Slippage is normally described as when then engine
> revs up but the
> vehicle does not accelerate until the bands lock on
> the drums, so you
> dont move or move any faster until the slippage
> stops. Slippage at idle
> is normally described as the thing bangs hard into
> gear (after the motor
> revved to 3grand). Slippage is normally felt at
> gear change intervals
> and when taking off from a dead stop. Most often,
> torque converter
> problems are felt at times when you are driving in a
> certain gear, and
> it feels like the engine has a missfire as the
> torque multiplication
> action of the converter changes. It can feel like a
> bucking or a
> surging.
> Slipping can be a function of low fluid level.
> Check the level as
> described in the owners manual, also the dipstick
> may have info like
> "check hot in park" etc. Put the proper fluid in
> the truck. Check the
> trans for leaks at the pan, output seal, front pump
> seal, and anywhere
> else. Other reasons for slipping can be worn bands
> and low fluid
> pressure internally, now your talking an overhaul.
> The converter stuff is a little harder, and many
> times will result in
> a code being thrown. It may not necessarily be a
> bad converter, but the
> lockup function can be malfunctioning due to a bad
> tcc relay.
> Patrick

=====
2001 Dodge Dakota 4X4 Sport RC,Flame Red/4.7L V8/45RFE auto/3.92 limited-slip/16" aluminum wheels/Infinity CD-cassette system.