Re: Factory Batteries SUCK!

From: Woodruff, Jason P (jason.p.woodruff@boeing.com)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 16:42:36 EST

Ron, I thought you got rid of that battery long ago?

Anyways, story time.

My old '91 Nissan Hardbody had 80K miles and the factory battery in it when
I bought it in 1994. Shortly after that it wouldn't start, checked it out
and the battery was completely dry, no water. My dad said it's probably
ruined. So I fill it with tap water (it's "ruined" any ways), it starts up
fine. So I drive it a while, I forget about the battery problem. About a
year later, it won't start again. Lessons learned, so first thing I check
is the battery water, it's all gone again. I figure, worked before, it'll
work again, so I filled it with tap water again and drove off into the
sunset (college). I topped off my battery every few months because it
either leaked or evaporated the water. I drained the juice completely a
couple of times with leaving the headlights on, ignition on, etc. In late
'99 it finally gave up the ghost and I had to buy a new one. 8 years, 140K
miles and extreme abuse not to bad.

Jay W
4.7L Auto Sport+ C.C. 2wd Black
Mods Profile page at