faulty fuel guage sending unit?

From: bgillan@bellsouth.net
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 10:59:39 EST

Sorry, forgot the subject field last time.

I have a '97 Club Cab SLT with 3.9L V6 and 22 gallon gas tank. I purchased the
truck used and ran out of gas on my first tank because the fuel gauage is off
by 1/4 tank. It reads 1/4 tank when it is actually empty and reads full when
3/4 full. I suspect something happened to the sending unit such that it's no
longer in calibration and can probably be easily fixed by dropping the tank and
either adjusting the sending unit or replacing it.

I wanted to post here to see if anyone has any suggestions before I go through
the hassle of dropping the tank. It looks like a fairly easy job. Is there
anything "forward" of the sending unit that allows calibration (perhaps an
adjustment up in the dash area)?

Normally, I wouldn't mess with something like this, but would just let it go.
But I've run out of gas twice now and have come close on other occasions.