Re: RE: Dakota Canceled

From: ''Granpa'' Silver89 (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 21:59:42 EDT

Yes - I really think D.C has the gall to do such a thing. Dakota has always been
the only midsize pickup - aside from Toyota's adventures in truck deisgn...
ranger and S-10 are smaller. True compact trucks. Compact SUV's and trucks are
a hot market auctually. D.C thinks the young market is where they can cash in
with a cheap compact truck. Thats clearly shown in the M-80 concept.

I agree that Dakota is priced too close to Ram. D.C may think that having three
pickups in its line up is too many fish in too small a consumer market.
Unfortunatly all I can do is speculate on the reasons why D. C does what it does.

But.. here is my bottom line. What would I like to see happen with the Dodge
truck line up?

I do not want to see major platform sharing with DaimlerBenz and Dodge trucks.
Gotta keep'em sepperated!

I think Dakota should stay the same overall size that it is now. For the simple
reason that Dakota won't step on its big brothers tire treds, and take sales away
from Ram. Dakota's base prices should be lowered a bit to also keep it from
getting in Ram's consumer market.

If Dodge wants to compete with Chevy and Ford in the full size SUV market, why
not base it off Ram? why go through the trouble of developing an all new
platform? To me - the new platform seems to have been a stupid decition from the
start. This was an avenue they had once tested before but scrapped, saying that
a full size SUV would never sell! (remember the Ram sized SUV sketches?)

Dodge's marketing stratgey with Durango, for a very long time, was "just right"
for size. Not a compact SUV not a lumbering full size. Now they are changing
directions??

I dunno folks... D.C is very fouled up if you ask me. I don;t think they know
what the heck is the right thing they should do.

--

"Hey Ray! Granpa done gone'n hit another light pole!"

Tom "Granpa" (Silver98) http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/

1989 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 1989 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow