Fan Shrouds-do we need them?

From: Mike Styer (m_styer@go.com)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 19:27:51 EDT

Actually, I mean, is a fan shroud necessary or recommended with a radiator-mounted electric fan?

I have a 16" PermaCool fan which replaced the stock cooling fan. Unfortunately, the electric fan has gone south on me for some reason. Anyway, when I make time to fix it, I am going to fabricate a mount like the BM fans. Should I also fabricate a fan shroud even though the fan is only an inch from the radiator? Nows the time to do it because I can design it and my cousin can have all those fancy metal work machines do the hard work while he is still in school...

Also, does anyone have a Permacool HD 16" electric fan? Could you measure the resistance of the motor for me?

Thanks in advance. Driving over 35 until then...

Mike Styer
www.geocities.com/geek_farm -almost done updating