Re: removing fender flares

From: MAGNUM S/T (kevinhoegen@email.com)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 17:39:51 EDT

3M makes the double sided tape and yes there should be some running along
the border.

I have found the best way to remove the tape....especially if the flare
portion is still connected to the truck is to warm the surface (best on a
warm day) with a hair dryer (the tape becomes tacky when heat is applied,
then gently "floss" a strand of fishing line between the flare and the
fender...this will seperate the flare from the truck.

By applying addional heat to the remaining tape, you should be able to roll
it off with finger pressure...this way no chemicals are used...it worked for
me.

1.When applying the new flare, place the tape on the flare portion but leave
the protective layer on the opposing side.

2.Check the fit for placement!
3.Slightly peel away enough of the tape so that when the flare is
reinstalled you'll be able to grab that piece and pull the protective layer
away while the flare is screwed on.

3A. Clean the surface very well and use alcohol once dry to prep surface for
tape adherence

4. Attach the flare by lightly tightening the anchor screws (if u tighten
all the way you wont be able to pull the protective layer away from the
tape). Once flare is in the final position, grab the loose end of the
P.Layer and gently pull it completely off...thus exposing the oposite sticky
side and adhering the flare to the truck.
5. finally, tighten all the screws and your golden.

Hope this helps!. If I missed anything, one of these fine DMLers should pipe
in :)