Re: Re: 4 Wheel Wteering Picture

From: ABeerCan@aol.com
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 12:07:34 EDT

There was a Honda Prelude version that had 4 wheel steering. It never took
off because people kept having problems with the rear steering not working
properly. The idea was that at speeds below 20 mph the rear wheels turn the
opposite direction of the front to cut around corners better. Above 20 mph
the wheels turned about 4 degrees (I think) in the same direction as the
front to speed lane changes. The idea was a good one below 20 mph, but it
was controlled much like what the Silverados probably is, by electric servos.
 The servos would short out over time and sometimes would keep turning the
opposite direction of the front wheels.
This caused a few spins out while traveling at highway speeds and Honda could
not come up with a foolproof solution. So the concept was halted. I am
waiting to see how GM's idea holds up over time.

The Other Will

<< I don't see the big deal wasn't there already a 4 wheel steering car, and
it
 was a big flop, maybe grand-am or honda? >>