Re: Re: Welding exhaust WAS Cat question?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 16:08:01 EDT

"Mark" <Gilpin.MCKnospam@lycos.com> wrote:

: MIG welding is actually very easy, anyone can do it with just a little
: practice and the instruction book that comes with most welders. I don't
: recommend the gasless welders because the flux from the wire is actually
: just another thing that can contaminate the weld, even though it there to
: protect it. If your gonna buy one, spend the extra few bucks and get the gas
: shielded, you will thank yourself later. The exhaust on most all modern
: vehicles is made from stainless. If your gonna weld it, its best to use
: stainless wire, which requires Argon shielding gas. If you use mild steel
: wire (gas shielded or flux core) the weld will be very weak and crack
: easily. If your gonna weld mild steel, you should use A/G %75 gas. ( %75
: Argon, %25 CO2) As for welding pipe on a vehicle, welding overhead with a
: MIG ain't easy, so the bottom will look like crap. Welding vertical with a
: MIG is quite easy, so the sides will look nice. Welding the top is basically
: welding blind, trying to see what your doing while sticking your head up
: with a helmet on looking through a 1 1/2" X 3" (most helmets) window, most
: of the time you cant see crap. These TV shows where you see them hold the
: pipe up and start welding, all their doing is tacking it. They don't show
: you that they take it down and weld it real pretty then put it back up,
: point at it and say "look, piece of cake". I've had my MIG for 6 years now,
: and its right up there with my guns. If you want it, your gonna have to pry
: it from my cold, dead fingers.

   I figured it was something like that. :-) Yeah, I've tried to weld
upside down too, and it just doesn't work! :-P

  I did all the research a couple of years back and finally bought a
welder around the fall of 2000. I'm still learning for sure, but it
has brought a level of convenience that I don't ever want to be without!
:-) "Fabbing something up" got a WHOLE lot easier! I looked at the
gasless types, but the general consensus was to stay away from them
unless portability is your #1 priority - the weld quality just isn't
as good and there's a lot more spatter.

  I ended up with a Hobart Iron Man 250. Maybe one of these days I'll
spring for the aluminum spool gun. Haven't really had a need for it
yet though.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'