A500 tranny replacement--Guidance Needed

From: shanec@spie.org
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 18:58:11 EDT

Hi all,

I've finally found a remanufactured transmission for my 92 dak CC LE 4x4
auto 3.9L. Now I'm looking at dropping out the old tranny and installing
the new one. I have ramps to put the truck in the air and I think I'll rent
a tranny jack. I have never done any transmission work before and I think
it's time for me to "play with the big boys" and do my own swap (besides, it
would save me $600 in labor). Do you have any tips and tricks for doing an
exact tranny swap for a A500 transmission with 4x4? Any information about
adding tranny fluid (do I need to suck the air out of there? Synthetic?) or
if I have to disconnect the drive shaft from the transfer case (or can I
take the transfer case off the tranny and slide it over on the cross member
with the drive shafts still connected?). Any guidance is greatly
appreciated. If this is not too much of a job, I'll take pics of the swap
and post them for future reference.

Shane Craven
Bellingham, WA