RE: RE: Virus Alert - Not a Hoax

From: Marc W. Grobe (MGrobe@leghorncomputing.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 23:45:57 EDT

Okay,

I normally standby on such religious debates, but I can't hold my tongue any
longer. ;) The Mac is a fine piece equipment to be sure, but that doesn't
mean Windows machines aren't any good.

Some inaccuracies: Apple did not invent the Graphical User Interface.
Xerox Corp's PARC facility was toured by Steve Jobs & Wozniak around 1982
and they took the GUI and mouse from Xerox. So was Mac the original? Nope.
The Mac is great for the home user who stays within the lines. They just
need to plug it in and have it do work and they do not want to get bogged
down in features that add flexibility and capability at the cost of more
complexity. The Mac prior to OS-X was a single-tasking OS, Windows has been
multi-tasking for eons... So I can run multiple apps simultaneously, where
yours just started to be able to.

Windows98 was released on June 25th 1998 so in my opinion that falls within
1998. Windows2000 a waste? I guess for the average home user it might
be... But hardly for the business environment that it was designed for.
Windows 2000 PROFESSIONAL (notice the word professional) was an incredible
OS and still stands as my favorite Windows release. WindowsXP I am less
impressed with as it is Windows2K with a newer face. And even worse it
seems Microsoft is bent on oversimplifying everything on it to match the
ease of use of the Mac. I work around 4 OS each and everyday and I find the
over simplistic interface of WindowsXP slows my productivity down.
Easier...perhaps But better???

DOS in any of the Windows OS was just there for backwards compatibility. It
would have made Microsoft more than happy to force everyone to dump their
DOS apps and buy new Windows versions. But they didn't. Try to find
anything more than a DOS emulator today. Much like Apple offering a Windows
emulator... ;)

Speed??? Well, things are always changing in CPU's and you can't make a
direct Apple to Windows comparison so I don't use this as a buying point.

Bottom-line is each product is geared for a slightly different market. So
pick the one that addresses your own personal computer passion. If we all
switched to Macs then you can imagine where all of the viruses will be
written for. Whoever is on top is always going to be the more attractive
target. Even with a paltry amount of virus written to crash Macs, all it
takes is one to have that happen.

-Marc-