Re: RE: Virus Alert - Not a Hoax

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 09:26:21 EDT

""Marc W. Grobe"" <MGrobe@leghorncomputing.com> wrote in message
news:FEBEBEAA5392454482859D1B3408269C1B28BE@lhcmsdaffy.leghorncomputing.com.
..
>The Mac prior to OS-X was a single-tasking OS, Windows has been
> multi-tasking for eons... So I can run multiple apps simultaneously, where
> yours just started to be able to.

Nope. MacOS prior to OS X was a co-operative multitasking system, just like
Win3.1. OS X is fully pre-emptive, but if you run OS 9 apps, those will be
co-operatively multitasked amongst themselves, and the OS 9 environment will
be one app running pre-emptive under OS X, just like iPhoto. Win9x/ME was a
hybrid pre-emptive and co-operative multitasking environment, WinNT/2000 is
fully pre-emptive.

> DOS in any of the Windows OS was just there for backwards compatibility.
It
> would have made Microsoft more than happy to force everyone to dump their
> DOS apps and buy new Windows versions. But they didn't. Try to find
> anything more than a DOS emulator today. Much like Apple offering a
Windows
> emulator... ;)

Yes and no. Win9x/ME ran right on top of DOS and were still reliant upon a
lot of 16-bit DOS-like code. There is NO DOS in WinNT/2000.