Re: DML:Door Panel

From: Chuck Robbins (intense99dak@cox.net)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 19:11:10 EDT

Removing the door panels is a breeze. The worst part is if you have crank
windows.

If you have crank windows, grab a sock or T-shirt. There is a "C" clip that
holds the window crank handle in place. It's between the washer and handle
or the washer and door panel (I can't remember). Crank the window until the
opening in the "C" clip is on top and then take your sock or whatever, slide
it to where the clip is and press down while making a slight sawing motion.
The clip will come flying off (literally so be careful to keep track of it)
and you'll be ready to move onto the next part. To reinstall that clip,
press it into position on the window crank handle before putting the handle
on the shaft. Then place the whole assembly onto the shaft as far as it will
go and then rap on it with your hand until you hear/feel the clip engage.

To remove the door panel you'll need a #15 torx bit and a phillips
screwdriver. There are 5 screws (at least there were on my '99) with one
torx behind the door handle. Once the screws are removed lift the door panel
about an inch. There are some "L" shaped brackets that you'll be lifting
over.

Once you have lifted the panel up enough to disengage the clips, tip it
towards you so you can reach behind it from above. There is a small clip
that connects the door lever to the door mechanism. Undo this clip (two part
process) and you can then remove the panel enough to unplug the speakers.

If you have power windows or mirrors there should be a connector that you
can unplug. I've never seen one in person so I have no idea how it comes
apart, but Dodge likes to use little tabs that you need to press in before
pulling the connection apart.

To reinstall the panel it's basically a reverse of above.

--
Chuck Robbins
'99 Dakota Sport

""Josh Hancock"" <jhancock@tcia.net> wrote in message news:001401c1ecc2$0a60a140$0100000a@thwaiam... > > I'm getting ready to install power locks and new speakers in the > doors of my 2000 Dakota and was wondering if somebody could tell > me the best way to remove the door panel of send me a link to info. > Thanks in advance, > Josh >