Re: O/D on or off?

From: ''Granpa'' Silver89 (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 15:02:55 EDT

Well considering my 4x4's overdrive doesn't WORK... I am technically driving
with it off. And my MPG is terrible as I have stated before. But I would
recommend leaving over drive on, Dave. OD is put there to increase fuel
economy. Since I doubt you will be trailoring much with an R/T, leave it on
for highway use, unless as stated previously, in areas where there are lots of
hills (saving your trans from shifting needlessly). In city traffic - from a
wear and tear point of view - you will be shifting in and out of overdrive
more. But I just leave it on in city driving anyway. Heat will be the most
detrimental to your trans. For your first mod I would recommend a good aux.
trans fluid cooler. The coolers that come stock are adequate, but a better
cooler sure can't hurt!

"A. S." wrote:

> Keep O/D on most of the time. The only reason to turn it off is for
> towing (pulling something heavy for a distance), or if you are in a
> situation where the tranny is shifting a lot such as a hilly area or heavy
> city traffic. The tranny should stay cooler by not shifting as much.
> --Aaron--
> 95 DSRC 4x4 V6
>
> >From: "Dave" <ded74@yahoo.com>
> >To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
> >Subject: DML: O/D on or off?
> >Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 14:21:27 -0400
> >
> >I know I need to sit down and check out the owner's manual, but I'm at
> >work,
> >and it's out in my truck, so I'll ask you guys :) This is the first
> >automatic I've ever owned (took a 360 to get me to buy an automatic lol),
> >so
> >I'm new to the whole overdrive on and off thing. I've played with it some
> >over the weekend, and I get that it's for highway driving, cause when I
> >turn
> >it off I can feel the change in the shifting, it'll light 'em up in a
> >heartbeat with the o/d off :) I'm just wondering if there are any things
> >should be careful about, like not using it too much, or is it ok to switch
> >back and forth regularly? I'm also guessing that having it off is gonna
> >kill what little gas mileage I get, right? Thanks.
> >
> >--
> >Dave
> >Bensalem, PA
> >'02 R/T RC Flame Red
> >
> >--
> >Dave
> >Bensalem, PA
> >'02 R/T RC Flame Red

"Hey Ray! Granpa done gone'n hit another light pole!"

Granpa - (Silver98) http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/

1989 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x2 1989 Reg Cab, V6, Auto, 8 footer, 4x4 w plow