Re: bed/tonneau issues

From: Jason Yates (onebad4x4dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 19:24:54 EDT

You may be right about the bike. I've had the truck for four
years and have sporadically hauled one motorcycle or another
over that time with no warpage of the panel or top rail. Plus,
the panel is such that the center of the bowed area is the
center of the bed. I don't haul my motorcycle centered in the
bed--the tailgate won't close. I put it in diagonal so it will
fit and to prevent the exact warpage I knew could occur if it
was centered. So it doesn't seem like it'd be the bike. On one
occasion I did loan my truck to a friend to use for moving some
of his stuff. I didn't think he had anything that heavy, and I
also didn't notice any damage until well after he borrowed it.
Regardless of the reason, the bed is still bent.

The only approach of thought of to bed it straight without
taking the bed off is to slip my tow strap down between the bed
and cab, anchor it somewhere/somehow on a frame crossmember or
something, attach the other end to something sturdy (like a
concrete filled steel post) at the back of the truck and SLOWLY
and CAREFULLY (with a spotter) pull forward to put some strain
on the bed to bend it back the way it came. (Whew, that was a
long sentence.) Probably a bad idea huh?

JY