RE: fuel filter & 45rfe tranny filter???

From: Al & Jeanna Figols (ALJF@mhonline.net)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 06:57:55 EDT

The 45rfe tranny actually has 2 filters in it when you drop the pan. I
didn't realize this until I looked in the factory shop manual. It has
the standard flat filter that most all auto trannys have and it also has
a spin on filter for the cooler. Again, they are both INSIDE the pan
and to my knowledge all 45rfe trannys are like this and shouldn't be
different between Dakota and Durango. The problem that I discovered is
all of the 5 Dodge service & parts departments I spoke with had no
knowledge of the cooler filter even though in the service manual it says
that BOTH must be replaced at the same time. Go figure.
Al