fuel filter & 45rfe tranny filter???

From: Al & Jeanna Figols (ALJF@mhonline.net)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 09:01:47 EDT

 I learned something interesting that I never thought to ask about when
buying my Dakota....Dodge doesn't use a fuel filter!!! How can that
be? Are the injector openings big enough to allow debris to pass
through? It seems unlikely to me. Has anyone ever had a problem due to
the lack of fuel filter? Is there a fuel filter in the tank that is
supposed to last the life of the Vehicle? Has anyone installed an
aftermarket fuel filter on theire 4.7L truck? I'm concerned by this
because fuel filter replacement has always been part of routine
maintenance and on top of that, my wifes Subaru Forester with 11K miles
had a problem with a defective fuel filter that wasn't filtering the gas
and subsequently plugged up the injectors(fixed under warranty of
course). If there is no fuel filter on new Dodges, what's preventing
the same thing from happening to them?

 Next question...Has anyone been successful in finding the cooler filter
for the 45rfe transmission that's mated to the 4.7L? This tranny uses
two filters, but no dealerships stock the cooler one. To my amazement,
a couple fo the dealers I called DIDN'T even know there was two filters
in that tranny! That tells me that they don't service the tranny
correctly. If anyone knows of an aftermarket crossover for the cooler
filter(looks like a spin on oil filter)please let me know. I'm over due
for my tranny service.
Thanks,
Al