RE: DML:tranny solution

From: shanec@spie.org
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 18:28:48 EDT

The Dodge shop in Bellingham, WA quoted me $600+ for a tranny swap. I
laughed, then decided to do the work myself (~10 hours to drop the old and
~16 to install the new). I also ordered the "heavy-duty" auto tranny with
the Kevlar bands, heavy-duty converter, and Transgo reprogramming kit,
however I bought mine from transmissionexchange.com for a total of $1,700.
Then I ran into a problem with torque specs (thanks John, for the email on
torque specs) and the 1992 FSM said to torque the flex plate to the
converter to 55 ft. lbs. That stripped out the converter ($200 for a new
one). I then went to the local Dodge shop looking for the correct specs and
the "tranny guy" said he NEVER follows the torque specs in the FSM, he just
uses that lock-tight glue stuff. YIKES!!!! That scared me enough to never
take my Dodge there again. So, just make sure your mechanic didn't get the
same training that this one did! But $400 seems a lot more reasonable than
$600. Good luck!

Shane Craven
92 CC LE 4x4 auto 3.9L
Bellingham, WA