5Spd Question - Can you get into reverse when moving forward?

From: Robert Schultz (robert_schultz_remove@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 20:04:32 EDT

Just checking my dealer's 'Everything is normal' response.

While driving, it is possible to attempt to engage reverse . Not that I'm
trying, mind you, but sometimes the stick comes down out out of fifth and I
get that wonderful sound of grinding gears rather than a burst of
acceleration in fourth :-( Seems to me that most manual transmissions have
some sort of protection against doing this. Either reverse off on it's own
in the tree (usually 4spd) or like VW's push down to enagage.

Of course, the dealer says there's nothing amiss, but another mechanic at
another dealer told me that that was bull&#$%. Just wanted to know what the
general experience is.

Rob S.