Re: popping sound when acelerating

From: ss454454 (ss454454@socal.rr.com)
Date: Fri May 17 2002 - 02:53:58 EDT

Im not sure if you guys know but I had my front axle break a few months ago.
Ed was with me on that unfortunate day and he can tell you all about it. the
dealer fixed the axle. basically swapped in a complete front axle.
basically the mounting brackets formed on the front diff broke off which in
turn dropped the axle to the ground.
anyway I have had this weird popping sound on acceleration on rough asphalt.
it doesnt feel like the tires bouncing but more liek a metallic pop. sounds
liek its coming from the area between the cab and bed is the best way i
can explain it. I crawled under the truck for 1 hour looking for stuff that
may be lose. u joins are good so is all the driveline. rear shocks are
fine and the axle spring bolts are tight. I was wondering if any of you
guys had that problem and found a fix or at least where to look.
also the axle was covered under recall # 889. I had a copy of the letter but
lost it. Im trying to get another copy from anyone who may have one for
future reference
thanx
Rob