Re: Rear brake shoes?

From: Ray (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri May 17 2002 - 01:04:12 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "William H. Hiatt III" <william@hiatt.net>
Subject: DML: Rear brake shoes?

> On rear brake shoes, do you guys use the stock shoes when you goto
> replace them, or has anybody run the Raybestos shoes? If so, ever had a
> problem with 'em?<snip>
>
> Any advice? I'm going to replace shoes tomorrow night and want to know
if
> I should spring the $$$$ and buy the OEM ones, or if the Raybestos will
> suffice? Should I buy a hardware kit and replace all the springs and such
> while I'm in there?

I've been very pleased with Raybestos PG Plus pads and
shoes. My Dak has never stopped better, both on the street and the track.
They're very quiet and very low dust.

Always replace the hardware when changing shoes. The springs lose some of
their tension over time and new stuff is just cheap insurance that they'll
keep on working right. One tip I can pass along, use a thin film of
anti-seize instead of the factory recommended lube where the shoes move
against the backing plate and on the threads of the self-adjusters. Also
works good on the front caliper slides, where the pads rest on the adapters.
Basically, anywhere there's metal to metal contact. Anti-seize doesn't
melt or wash off easily so it lasts much longer and prevents rust. (Thin
film....it does run it you use too much)

Ray
"I used to have a handle on life, but it broke."