Re: Truck Lowering Sites

From: Chuck Robbins (intense99dak@cox.net)
Date: Fri May 24 2002 - 22:18:07 EDT

http://forum.sportruck.com/wwwthreads.pl?action=list&Board=suspension

http://www.dodgedakotas.com/cgi-bin/amb/view.pl?board=low

Grab a coffee and spend a couple hours reviewing these forums. Any questions
you have should be answered although you may be a little overwhelmed a
little at first.

Also you can go to the archives and do a search on lowering and pull up a
crap load of information.

Some general terms that you'll run across are (and someone pipe in if I miss
any):

FRONT SUSPENSION

coils - Naturally the front coil springs.You can get them in 1" or 2" drop.
They will change the ride, but generally handle better then the stockers
because they are firmer.

spindles - Instead of replacing the coil springs (and changing the factory
ride), you have the option of replacing the spindles (the piece of the front
suspension between the control arms that the wheel mounts to). This will
keep the factory geometry (the spindle arm is in a different location from
stock) and the factory ride. You can get drop spindles in anywhere from 2"
to 5".

A arms - Also known as control arms. You can read up on them here:
http://www.sporttruckdirect.com/supera-arms.html#DakA-arms and
http://www.sporttruckdirect.com/dakotakits.html

Also when you're talking about lowering the front of our Dak's you'll want
to consider replacing the ball joints, tie rod ends and control arm
bushings. Not a necessity (in some cases), but a good idea while you're in
there.

REAR SUSPENSION

leafs - The rear leaf springs. I don't know of anyone other than hotchkis
that makes replacement leaf springs, but it's a simple matter of taking out
the stock leaf springs and bolting in the new ones.

shackles - These are the brackets at the rear end of the leaf springs that
connect them to the frame. To replace the shackles you'll need to grind off
the rivets (major pita) and install the new ones

blocks - These are simply a spacer that goes between the rear axle and the
leaf springs. Most will have a taper that will keep the proper pinion angle
(more on this later). Blocks are the cheapest way to go, but generally are
frowned upon because of their unreliability.

pinion angle - The angle of the drive shaft from the rear axle to the
transmission. If this angle is not kept within tolerances, you're asking for
some costly troubles.

Hope this helps a little :-)

--
Chuck Robbins