Re: pinging on 4.7

From: Dave & Charlene (DOHCTurboIII@Sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 21:44:04 EDT

> >I'm really curious about this pinging in 4.7s. I see a lot of posts
about
> >this with colder plugs, higher octane and 180 thermostats as the
solution.

> >My 4.7L '00 Grand Cherokee 4x4 has 24,000 miles, original plugs and
> >thermostat and a steady diet of 87 octane. No pinging whatsoever!?
It's
> >run a best of 15.58 in the 1/4 with 15.80s common place in hot weather.
>
> Do you have any slow cars or drivers in your family :-P
>
> >Is this pinging issue only with newer 4.7s? Anyone have a theory why so
> >many people have this problem and my '00 doesn't? Is it just a Dakota
> >problem? If DC got mine right, why didn't they get all of them right?
> >(oh yeah, I forgot, if it ain't broke, pay an engineer to fix it!) :-)
>
> There have been a lot of posts in the past about pinging on the magnums
> 3.9/5.2/5.9. A major reason for the problem was the barrel intake and
> a belly pan gasket prone to leaking.
>
> I've only recently become aware of some pinging complaints on the 4.7 .

There is a flash update for all 4.7s, Grand Cherokee, Daks, etc, that fixes
the ping. There have been so many flash updates for these things, I have
lost track. Be warned though, there is a noticeable drop in power after this
is done.This also applies to the V6/V8 mags, there is a flash out for them
to, and it also drops power a bit. And yeah alot have bad intakes, which
make it worse.
                         Dave St.Louis
            98 GRAND CHEROKEE LTD. 5.9L
            89 LEBARON GTC Conv. Intercooled 2.5 {14.13@95}