Re: Autolite's for non-Dodge

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 23:25:26 EDT

At 01:15 PM 5/30/02 -0500, you wrote:
>-- snip --
>So I'm thinking, if a colder plug helps out with a Dak if it's pinging,
>could the same be true with a Chevy? I would think so? If so, Autlolite
>recommends a part# 5245, so one heat range cooler would be "5244"
>correct?

That's right.

>On a related note, the Autolite website lists a "5224" as the plug for my
>truck (2001 4.7l). I understand that a xx23 would be cooler, but it doesnt
>seem to mention the 3923's that I always see being used. Also, the truck
>doesnt ping right now, so should I wait until I start to notice that (maybe
>after mod install?) before I change them out?

The copper 392x family of plugs is listed for the 360 (not even sure if it
would be listed for the magnum 5.9L). DMLer Jon Smith used it on his
5.2L and dyno results showed a small gain in hp and torque which is only
important to those that want to cut their ETs by thousandths of sec.

Personally, if your truck doesn't ping, I wouldn't change a thing.

BTW, I'm not sure if Autolite has discontinued the 5223s or not.
My auto. store supplier doesn't list the 5223s on his computer
listing at all.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 CC Dakota, 5.2L, 4x2, 44RE, 3.92SG, 4,075 lb (racing weight)
RW: 231.2 hp 340.0 torque PB: 14.313 95.05 mph