RE: CB Questions

From: tmfu (tmfu@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 21:49:11 EDT

> > The Li'l Wil can handle a 132mph wind (tested at Nazareth
> Raceway(I forgot to take it off during a time trial))
> Yup, the Wilson magnet is plenty strong, although I don't think
> my V6 is up to that kind of speed.

Got mine up to 120 (v6 5spd) a couple of times. Even had BobN playing catch
up once..

> Placed a Teaberry Stalker II Export
> Wow! Haven't heard that brand name in years! They made good stuff, right
> along with President and Galaxy, which along with the Uniden and Cobra
> morphed into basically the same stuff, IIRC.

Yup, used the exact same chassis as the Grant, 148GTL, and the 2000GTL.

> Did you replace the MC873x chip with an MC8719?
> I have no idea, as my son gave me the radio, which is actually a
> 148 GTL ST with an Astatic power mic with adjustable modulation and tone.
He
> used it in his car with a 3 pill foot warmer, so it also has adjustable
dead key
> output.
> BTW, he is an avionics/Doppler radar/radio tech in the Navy.

Ok kewl...

> Ummm how did you get 40watts out the back of the unit? Or is that 40 when
> you go SSB?
>
> It dead keys 20 on AM, 40+ modulation. It also has a swing kit in it.
> About the same wattage on SSB. I've talked from here just west of
> STL to as far east as Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, to L.A and Frisco in CA
and
> Vancouver, BC-during the day, putting down the road.
> See above on the adjustable output. It is barefoot. I wish I had
> the linear. On the freeband, there is a three position switch. Middle is
> normal, then go to SSB and rotate the switch either way. Example: Upper
sideband, rotate
> the switch towards the radio's face, and you go above upper sideband, but
> below lower on the next channel up. Rotate the switch the other way to the
> stop, and you go between upper sideband and AM. Repeat on lower sideband,
> only you cover the freqs on the lower side. Clear as mud, right?
> I also have a slightly warmed 148GTL with stock mic that only dead keys
> about 10 watts. Then there's the old radio that got me started, my trusty
> old Royce I-600B 23...I mean 27 ch (4 lowers) with Road King 66T mic and
> Avanti Hippo V antenna. It wil mod about 17-19 watts.
> here's a blast fom the past-I also used it as a base radio back in the 70s
> using a CLR II 5/8 wave ground plane. I still have it all, except the base
> antenna, which I just gave to a friend who lives on a big hill, and is
> mounting it along with the 20' of push up pole on his barn.

Ooook. I would be curious to see what the output looks like on an OScope.

> Boy, been a while since I was at a coffee break (20+ years)-and
> to think I'm doing it on a computer. Whoda thunk?

 Not many of those around anymore.. :-(

Greg
2k1 Dodge Neon ES
Rahway, NJ